`Variable` element definition

Hi, this post is about the Variable node in the BPMN model and whether or not it is a standard element/node or is this a possibly extended custom element.

I’m trying to import and customize a model from the flowable open source engine, more specifically, they have a variableAggregation node in the multi instance loop characteristincs’ extension elements, looking like this:

<multiInstanceLoopCharacteristics isSequential="true" flowable:collection="${data}" flowable:elementVariable="input">
        <extensionElements>
          <flowable:variableAggregation target="target_var" targetExpression="target_expr" createOverviewVariable="true" delegateExpression="delegate_expr">
            <variable sourceExpression="${id}" target="id"></variable>
          </flowable:variableAggregation>
        </extensionElements>
      </multiInstanceLoopCharacteristics>

(look at the Variable node in the XML, it has no prefix.)

Now, I’ve described the variableAggregation extension element in my flowable descriptor like so:

{
      name: 'VariableAggregation',
      superClass: ['Element'],
      properties: [
        {
          name: 'target',
          isAttr: true,
          type: 'String',
        },
        {
          name: 'targetExpression',
        },
        {
          name: 'delegateExpression',
        },
        {
          name: 'storeAsTransientVariable',
        },
        {
          name: 'createOverviewVariable',
        },
        {
          name: 'variable', // this will be a `flowable:Variable`
          isAttr: false,
          isMany: true,
          type: 'Variable',
        },
      ],
    },

in our bpmn-js descriptor with the flowable prefix and I can create that element programmatically myself using moddle.create(flowable:VariableAggregation, {..}), with no issues.
Problems arise when I try to create the variable node, as you can see in the XML example above, variable has no prefix, and when i try to create a moddle.create("Variable", {..}), i get the error message saying Uncaught Error: unknown type <Variable>. I can however add the flowable: prefix to the variable and add it to my descriptor:

{
      name: 'Variable',
      superClass: ['Element'],
      properties: [
        { name: 'target', isAttr: true, type: 'String' },
        { name: 'source', isAttr: true, type: 'String' },
        { name: 'sourceExpression', isAttr: true, type: 'String' },
        { name: 'targetExpression', isAttr: true, type: 'String' },
      ],
    },

but this will just allow me to create a <flowable:Variable> element instead of just a <Variable>.

Now, as far as I understand, this Variable isn’t a regular bpmn element, so my question is:
is this a bug in the exported model i got without the prefix on the Variable element, or did I somehow get the wrong BPMN definition and Variable is a legit BPMN element?

Variable isn’t part of the BPMN 2.0 standard. The element should have a prefix. This is a bug of the exporting tool.

Thanks a lot Philipp :slight_smile: Will figure out what to do in this case, but I was mostly curious whose issue this was