Is the BPMN IO generated XML compatible with Activiti Engine?

I am trying to import BPMN IO generated XML and processing it in Activiti Engine. I designed the model using Activiti Modeler and the same in BPMN IO. The generated XML looks different and when i process it using Activiti Engine, Activiti Modeler generated XML works but not the BPMN IO generated XML. Please find attached the sample workflow of both modelers.

According to our observation, LANESET is automatically generated in Activiti but not in BPMNIO. jiratocq_io.bpmn (4.4 KB)

JiratoCQ.bpmn20.xml (4.7 KB)

The file with extension bpmn20.xml represents the Activiti generated XML.

What do you mean by compatible? The models created by both are not identical but BPMN 2.0 files created by either tool should import into the other just fine. This is due to the fact that BPMN 2.0 XML is a standard and both tools hopefully do not do any magic there.

You are correct about the fact that lane sets are not created per default with bpmn-js. As soon as you add a second lane that will happen though.

Regarding your question about compatibility with the Activity Engine: Activity requires technical meta-data (i.e. activity:class) for actual execution. bpmn-js only provides bindings for Camunda via the bpmn-js-properties-panel. You’d need to roll your own facilities to edit these technial attributes.

Hope this helps!

Hello Nikku,

Thanks for reply.
If we have only one lane, it is not being processed. As you mentioned,
You are correct about the fact that lane sets are not created per default with bpmn-js. As soon as you add a second lane that will happen though”.

Seems to be bug in BPMN-IO ? . Activiti Engine always expects laneset whether you have one lane or many

This is not a bug in our library. Lanesets and lanes do not have strict execution semantics and can be ommited if they are not needed.

To me it seems like a bug with the Activiti tooling to rely on a laneset to always be present :wink:.