Dmn-js support for dmn 1.2?

We are using dmn-js for displaying dmn models in the browser. Now we started to support DMN 1.2 models in our software, which cannot be displayed with dmn-js. I would like to ask:

• Is DMN 1.2 support planned for dmn-js? If so, when?
  • Is there another way to show DMN 1.2 in the browser?
  • Is there a workaround to show DMN 1.2 diagrams in dmn-js (conversion back to 1.1?)

Thank you in advance!

We did not start working on DMN 1.2 support yet. The scope of the support is currently in discussion.

Now we started to support DMN 1.2 models in our software.

What is your software?

Hi Nikku,
Thank you for the quick answer. We are using DMN to model legislative rules for the upcoming Dutch consolidated environmental law.
We use the dmn-js to view the DMN files.
More info in dutch: https://aandeslagmetdeomgevingswet.nl/digitaal-stelsel/

So in a nutshell, some official documents will are being published as DMN 1.2 files?

The primary target is to execute the rules using Drools, which has support for DMN 1.2. We use the viewer for browsing the rulesets.

What is your software ?

So to answer my initial question: You use Drools to create the DMN tables?

Hi Nikki, sorry I was away on vacation.
Our software is a rule driven solution using DMN as input for the Drools business rules engine. DMN specifications are delivered by Dutch authorities (around 400). All DMN files can be viewed in an application, which uses dmn.js.
Every authority is responsible for delivering the rules in DMN specification to the central business rules engine. They use business rules management systems to create the DMN specifications.

Is there any progress in scoping support for 1.2?

We hope to deliver 1.2 support should late 2019 / early 2020.

This is not a guarantee and can be subject to change any time.

Hi Nikku, any update about the plans to support 1.2?

We’ll begin to work on DMN 1.2 shortly. Stay tuned.

Hi Michel!

I an working in the public sector in Norway and I am trying to get in touch with your project to know more about the things you are doing. I find it very interesting and relevant for us. We are already using DMN but not in the scale that you are. Could you contact me on e-mail? fiol(at)udi.no ?

I see that on Github it now says that dmn-js has support for DMN 1.3, can I assume this means it supports 1.2 aswell? Does the latest version (7.4.0) support 1.2 now?
Thanx

The latest stable version of dmn-js (v7.4.0) only supports DMN 1.1. However, we are working on DMN 1.2 and 1.3 support. There is an alpha release (v8.0.0-alpha.0) that only supports DMN 1.3. Once there is a stable release, we will offer a way to migrate DMN 1.1 and 1.2 diagrams so you can view them in dmn-js@8. Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Hi Niklas, just checking back on the current developments. Does the current release 8.3.0 support only DMN 1.3?
We need to support viewing 1.1 and 1.2. So if those are not supported directly, is the way to do it to convert them to 1.3 before loading them into the viewer?
This is a scenario I tested some time ago but did not give the desired results (sorry no specifics, I will need to test it again).

Correct, the current release only supports DMN 1.3. We offer a migration tool to migrate older diagrams to the newest version.

2 Likes