Custom bpmnlint rule calling an async function

Is it possible to make a custom bpmnlint rule that calls an async function? I have integrated bpmnlint and bpmn-js-lint into my react project. In doing so, I’m writing a custom bpmnlint that needs to make an api call to verify that the data associated with a task on the diagram is correct. However, creating an async rule that calls await causes the console to print this error:

export ‘default’ (imported as ‘rule_11’) was not found in 'bpmnlint-plugin-rules/rules/test-rule'

In my project, I have a directory called bpmnlint-plugin-rules/rules where all my custom rules are located and here is what my rule looks like:

/** bpmnlint-plugin-rules/rules/test-rule.js */
module.exports = () => {
    const check = async (node, reporter) => {
        if (is(node, 'bpmn:Task') && node.name) {
            const data = await someApiCall();
            // do some comparisons with data and node.$attrs
            reporter.report(node.id, 'some message');
        }
    };
    return { check };
};

Could you explain your issue in a structured and detailed manner, so anyone has a fair chance to understand your use case?

If you are stuck with a particular problem, provide the necessary context. Phrase your post so that we can follow your line of thought, step by step.

Please revise your post; we may not be able to help you otherwise. We may also close topics of low quality to prevent spam.

Thanks for updating your post to provide further details!

In bpmnlint evaluating a rule, i.e. check is always synchronous. This is to make sure that rules can be evaluated blazing fast, on the fly, as a user edits a diagram.

What is possible is to define a rule itself. This allows you to load and cache data required for validation before rule evaluation:

module.exports = async function(node, reporter) {

const data = await someApiCall();

function check(node, reporter) {
    if (is(node, 'bpmn:Task') && node.name) {

// do some comparisons with data and node.$attrs
      reporter.report(node.id, 'some message');
    }
  };

return { check };
}

Does that help you? If not I’d be interested in some additional details what you are going to lint (and why check-time checks are required for that.

I’m sorry if it’s not allowed to bump old topics, but otherwise, I would have to create exactly the same again.

I’ve stumbled upon this question, and would like to run a async check in a bpmnlint rule to validate Javascript code that is embedded in a script task.

I’m looping over all ServiceTask to extract the body of inputParameters with type Script and language Javascript to verify if the Javascript looks valid.

I could easily use the API of eslint for this, and pass the extracted body to eslint.lintText(body) like documented here: Node.js API Reference - ESLint - Pluggable JavaScript Linter

Since this API is async, I would have to await the result of this call somehow.

Is this possible by now? I’ve noticed a few commits related to running code async, but it doesn’t look like there are any rules that run async code.

No, this is still not possible yet. You could take a stab at this issue, checkout the library workings and see if it is feasible to add such support.