Combining BPMN and DMN

Hi. I would like to have a Decision Task (bpmn task) which would be bound to a DMN table, so something like a Business Rule Task, but actually binding it to a decision table.

So far I understood that bpmn-js and dmn-js are two completely separate modelers, and I understand that a Decision Task is not a standard BPMN type so my thoughts were that I could bind it through extensionElements of a service task, but bottom line is that I would like to use DMN’s table without the DMN modeler, just the table. Is this even possible?

The way you link a business rule task to a decision is through the Decision ID which can be set through the properties panel of the BPMN editor:

The same ID must be set in the properties panel of the DMN editor:

The engine executing the BPMN process will have to pick up the DMN decision based on the ID you set.

Thank you for replying so fast!

The way you link a business rule task to a decision is through the Decision ID which can be set through the properties panel of the BPMN editor:

Do I have to load some specific additionalModules (or extensions) for my properties panel to have that Called Decision panel or do I just implement it by myself through a Custom PropertiesProviderModule?

The same ID must be set in the properties panel of the DMN editor:

Can I avoid having to use a separate DMN editor to instantiate a Decision task and then edit the table? How could I just create & edit a single table?

My end goal is using only one modeler canvas (which would be the BPMN editor).

I went back to double check and it turns out the Decision ID is specific to the Zeebe engine (cf. bpmn-js-properties-panel/ZeebePropertiesProvider.js at master · bpmn-io/bpmn-js-properties-panel · GitHub). What engine is the process going to be deployed to?

We are using flowable engine, and I’ve checked their examples, their Decision Task generates an extension element with

<flowable:field name="decisionTableReferenceKey">
          <flowable:string><![CDATA[test_dtkey]]></flowable:string>
</flowable:field>

so we can bind it through keys…

So to go back to my other question of not using the DMN editor to create a task and then switch to table view, but to instantly open a table view, I found this topic where you answered: Open DMN in Decision Table View and this is more or less works, so I would instantiate the editor and then run your code.

But I have another concern, can I use a similar approach like we have in bpmn-js, useService(modeling|moddle|elementRegistry) to manipulate the nodes of the DMN? For instance, wanting to bind the abovementioned key to and from my BPMN model?